Yankee Noodle Dandy Cheese Bake
A hearty bacon, cheese and noodle casserole by Chef Jim Coleman of Rittenhouse Hotel, Philadelphia, PA.
4 bacon slices, coarsely chopped
5 green onions chopped with some of green tops
6 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup finely shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 cup finely crumbled farmer cheese
2 1/2 cups cooked egg noodles
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cook bacon in a skillet until crispy. Remove and drain the bacon. In the skillet with bacon drippings, sauté green onions for two minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks. Add three cheeses, green onions, bacon, noodles, cream, parsley, thyme, cayenne, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In another bowl or mixer, whip the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. Pour the mixture into a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish that has been coated with non-stick spray.
- Bake the casserole for 30 to 45 minutes, until firm. If the top starts to brown before the cooking time is finished, cover the dish with a piece of aluminum foil.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the American Dairy Association.