This pho soup is very easy to make at home and it will fill your house with the wonderful aromas typical of a pho soup. Enjoy it!
- For the broth
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 1 large piece of ginger
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 2 small leeks, well washed
- 5 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 10 whole cloves
- 1 tbs coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (or to taste)
- 1/2 tablespoon of soy sauce (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons of salt (or to taste)
- For assembling the soup
- 1 package of banh pho (rice noodles)
- 4 oz of canned straw or button mushrooms
- 8 oz of fried tofu pieces
- 1 tablespoon of canola oil
- 4 oz of fresh shitake mushrooms, sauteed in oil
- 1/4 cup of cilantro leaves, chopped
- bean sprouts
- Thai basil
- sliced onions
- green or red pepper, sliced
- lime wedges
- hoisin sauce
Prep:10min › Cook:30min › Ready in:40min
- Make the broth:
- First, grill the onion and ginger on a a barbecue grill until charred. You can do this in the oven broiler as well.
- Once the onions and ginger are browned, place all broth ingredients, except soy sauce, salt and sugar, in a large pot and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook it over medium heat for about 45 minutes. Season with sugar, soy sauce and salt to taste. Strain the broth and return to pot. Keep warm.
- Make the noodles:
- Cook the noodles in boiling water for 3 minutes or until soft. Drain and rinse with cold water . Divide the noodles into 4 large soup bowls.
- Assemble the soup:
- Divide the tofu, canned mushrooms, shitake mushrooms and cilantro evenly among the 4 bowls. Ladle the hot soup over the noodles and mushrooms and top it with beans sprouts, Thai basil, onions and other toppings you might want. Enjoy it hot.