Traditional St. Patrick’s Day Meal
“I found out that the traditional St. Patrick’s Day meal in Ireland is not corned beef and cabbage, but bacon and cabbage. Here’s a great recipe for your St. Patrick’s Day meal.” Recipe submitted by Deanna of Greensboro, North Carolina USA.
1 head of cabbage
1 1/4 to 2-pounds Smithfield bacon (a dry salt-cured, hickory smoked bacon)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 teaspoons of butter
- lace unwrapped bacon in 5-quart pot of cold water; bring to a boil and drain.
- Cover bacon with fresh cold water, bring to a boil, then simmer for 25 minutes per pound of bacon.
- Remove outer leaves of cabbage, cut in half, core, and add to bacon and water for last 20 minutes of simmering time.
- Remove bacon and chop into small pieces.
- Drain cabbage, chop and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix cabbage, bacon and butter together, and serve with a side of boiled potatoes for true Irish fare. Enjoy!
Makes 4 to 6 servings.