As simple, spicy sambal dish that is usually an accompaniment to Nasi Lemak.
- 150g dried anchovies
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- 4 shallots
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) tamarind juice
- 2 cm belacan, toasted
- 8 dried chilli peppers, soak in hot water discard seeds
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Cooking oil
Prep:10min › Cook:15min › Ready in:25min
- Fry the dried anchovies until crispy, drain and set aside.
- Blend the shallots, chillies, garlic and belacan together until fine.
- Heat a little oil in pan and fry the blended spice ingredients until fragrant. Add the onion rings and stir well for a few minutes until the onion softens a little.
- Add tamarind juice, salt and sugar. Cook until the sauce thickens and then add the crispy fried anchovies.