- 1 cup Cream of wheat (rava/ semolina)
- 1 – 1.5 cups Sugar
- 3-4 tbsp Clarified Butter (Ghee)
- 3-4 Cardamoms (de-skinned and crushed)
- 8-10 Golden Raisins (kismis)
- 1tsp Orange food color (kesari)
Prep:2min › Cook:10min › Extra time:12min › Ready in:24min
- Add 1 tbsp ghee in a wok with a thick bottom, when its hot add the raisins and de-skinned and crushed cardamoms, once the raisins become plump, Add the semolina and roast in the ghee along with the raisins and cardamom till the rava gets a faint pink color. Keep aside.
- Now in the same wok, add 3 cups of water, add the color and let it boil. When it comes to boiling point, add the semolina slowly, constantly stirring, and mix well. Allow the semolina to be cooked at medium heat. The trick is that the semolina has to cook well. Keep covered and cook for a while.
- When it is fully cooked, add the sugar and stir well. The sugar makes it watery, so stir well. When the sugar is fully dissolved, add the remaining ghee. Keep stirring until the semolina starts leaving the sides of the pan. Your Kesari/Sheera/Sojji is ready. Check the close up snap of the Kesari, it shows how moist and well cooked it is. Serve warm, dunk in with a spoon and enjoy it.
“Kesari wouldn’t be Kesari if there is no ghee”. But this recipe doesn’t have as much ghee and still tastes good. Here is a no-fail recipe, if followed properly as per the measurements given here and the procedure followed here. Make this Kesari and enjoy the compliments.
See it on my blog
RAVA KESARI (SOJJI) (CREAM OF WHEAT INDIAN DESSERT