This coconut candy is one of my favorites. It’s easy to make and looks very pretty. It makes a great gift, because everybody loves homemade sweets.
- 1 meaty coconut
- 150g sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 75 ml water
Prep:30min › Cook:30min › Ready in:1hr
- With a screwdriver poke through the 3 “eyes” of the coconut. Pour out the water. Break your coconut with a hammer into two halves. Remove the meat in as few pieces as possible. (I find that roasting the coconut for 15 minutes helps loosen the meat from the shell.)
- Peel the brown skin off the meat. With a peeler or a sharp knife cut the meat into thin strips, about 5-6 centimeters long.
- In a large pot bring enough water to cover the meat to a boil. Boil the coconut meat for 5 minutes to get rid of some of the fat. Drain.
- In the same pot combine the water, sugar and salt. Bring to a gentle boil. Add the coconut strips and turn the heat to low. Maintain a gentle simmer and keep stirring the strips carefully to keep in contact with the syrup. The syrup will thicken and the coconut meat will turn somewhat glassy looking.
- When the syrup has evaporated completely the coconut ribbons will start to look like they are coated with white sugar crystals. Turn the heat very low and keep on stirring until all ribbons look coated in white sugar crystals and look dry.
- Pour out onto a sheet pan and let cool completely. Store them in a tightly closing container.