Juicy whole chicken roasted or cooked on a rotiserrie. It still remains a popular street food in the Phillipines. It’s best to give time for marinating so that the flavour melds together. Serve it with lechon sauce.
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 onion, chopped
- 15 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fish sauce (patis)
- 4 tablespoon calamansi juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 6-8 lemongrass bulbs, bruised
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
Prep:20min › Cook:1hr30min › Extra time:4hr marinating › Ready in:5hr50min
- Clean chicken and pat dry. Rub the whole chicken, including inside the cavity with chopped onions, garlic, salt, pepper, sugar, calamansi juice and patis and let marinade in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Heat oven to 200°C. Take the chicken out of refrigerator and stuff the cavity with the bay leaves and lemongrass bulbs.
- Put the chicken in oven and roast for 1-1 1/2 hours depending on the size. Add the oil to the leftover marinade sauce and baste the chicken with sauce a couple of times. Check for doneness by poking through the inner thigh and if the juices run clear it’s done. Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes before serving.
If you can’t find calamansi, substitute with lemons.