A classic breakfast for Thai people. It’s great because it is warm, mild and filling, without being too heavy.
- 1 litre pork or chicken stock or water
- 2 cups cooked jasmine rice
- 150g ground pork
- 1 teaspoon galangal powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- salt or fish sauce to taste
- 1/4 cup fried garlic in oil
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapenos in vinegar
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup coriander sprigs, chopped
Prep:10min › Cook:20min › Ready in:30min
- In a largish pot heat up the stock or water to a simmer. Add the pork in little tiny bits, like miniature dumplings. Simmer until cooked through.
- Add the galangal powder, white pepper and rice. Bring to a simmer again and let simmer for 5-15 minutes, depending on how thick you like your soup (the rice will expand as it simmers.)
- Season with salt or fish sauce to taste. You might not need any, depending on how salty your stock was.
- Serve in deep bowls. Let the guests add fried garlic, pickled jalapenos, green onions and coriander to their taste.