This is an original Indonesian satay recipe. I hope all you cooks around the world can enjoy it! You can grill or barbecue the chicken and serve with some hot chilli on the side.
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) soya sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cubed
- satay sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) vegetable oil
- ¼ cup grated onion, about half a medium onion
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125g) chunky peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) soya sauce
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) lemon juice, about one small lemon
Prep:25min › Cook:20min › Ready in:45min
- In a bowl, mix soya sauce, tomato sauce, peanut oil, garlic, black pepper, and cumin. Place chicken into the mixture, and stir to coat. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes, but not overnight. This will make the meat too dark.
- Preheat the grill or barbecue grill plate for high heat.
- Heat vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat, and fry onion and garlic until lightly browned. Mix in water, peanut butter, soy sauce and sugar.
- Cook and stir until well blended. Remove from heat, mix in lemon juice, and set aside.
- Lightly oil the grill or barbecue. Thread chicken onto skewers, and discard marinade. Grill or barbecue skewers about 5 minutes per side, until chicken juices run clear. Serve with the peanut sauce.