This is a fun recipe to follow, because Grandma makes it sweet and simple. This pie is thickened with cornflour in addition to egg yolks and contains no milk.
- 250g (1 cup) white sugar
- 1½ tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 375ml (1½ cups) water
- Finely grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
- 30g butter
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 4 egg whites
- 4½ tablespoons white sugar
- 1x 23cm pre-baked pie shell
Prep:30min › Cook:10min › Ready in:40min
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- To Make Lemon Filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, flour, cornflour, and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon rind. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter.
- Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of the hot sugar and flour mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar/flour mixture.
- Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat. Pour filling into the baked pastry shell.
- To Make Meringue: In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.