I love this recipe given to me by my friend. The sour curry taste is so mouth-watering and the aroma that comes out of it while it’s cooking – heavenly!
- 2 mackerel steaks
- 4 shallots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 fresh red chillies
- 2 stalks curry leaves
- 2 tsp tamarind paste*
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 whole tomato, quartered
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 brinjal, sliced
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for cooking
Prep:15min › Cook:15min › Ready in:30min
- Season the mackerel with salt and pepper and let marinate for 15 minutes.
- Pound the garlic, shallots and red chillies in mortar and pestle until fine.
- Heat oil in pot and fry the pounded ingredients and curry leaves until fragrant. Then add the fish and fry together. Mix the curry powder with some water to make a paste and stir in the pot. Add the tamarind paste, water, milk and mix.
- Add the tomatoes, brinjal, onion and season with sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, lower heat, taste and adjust seasoning. Simmer for another 5 minutes then serve. with rice.
I use the concentrated seedless tamarind paste which can easily be found in stores nowadays. If you are using the tamarind blocks, then pinch off a larger section and mix with water and strain the seeds to get the juice.
To make a “healthier” version I opted to use milk instead of coconut milk but you can certainly use coconut milk which will make the flavour richer.