A healthier alternative to the black beans and rice dish commonly found in carribean and latin recipes. Quinoa is a nutty grain from South America and makes a wonderful substitute for rice.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 125g quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 185g sweet corn kernels
- 800g canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- handful chopped fresh coriander
Prep:15min › Cook:35min › Ready in:50min
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic and cook until lightly browned.
- Add quinoa and vegetable stock. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to the boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
- Add corn and simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and coriander.