This recipe produces a pizza base that is soft and doughy on the inside and slightly crusty on the outside. Cover it with your favourite sauce and toppings to make a delicious homemade pizza.
- 2¼ teaspoons instant dried yeast
- ½ teaspoon soft dark brown sugar
- 375ml (1½ cups) warm water (45 C)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 500g (4 cups) plain flour
Prep:30min › Cook:20min › Extra time:1hr › Ready in:1hr50min
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and brown sugar in the warm water, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Stir the salt and oil into the yeast mixture. Mix in half of the flour.
- Turn dough out onto a clean, well floured surface, and knead in more flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Place the dough into a well oiled bowl, and cover with a damp cloth.
- Let the dough rise until double, this should take about 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough, and form a tight ball. Allow the dough to relax for a minute before rolling out. Use for your favourite pizza recipe.
- Preheat oven to 220 C. If you are baking the dough on a pizza stone, you may place your toppings on the dough, and bake immediately. If you are baking your pizza in a tray, lightly oil the pan, and let the dough rise for 15 or 20 minutes before topping and baking it.
- Bake pizza in preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes until the cheese and crust are golden brown.